Thursday, July 2, 2015

Holiday Access to Ancestry.com

From July 1 - 5, 2015 Ancestry.com offers free access to help you celebrate the 4th of July.  Go to the homepage, click on the "Search Free" box.


I entered "Ezra Dunn" for the name and "New Jersey" as the birthplace.  This brought me to a darkened page of results, asking for my email address so that I could be issued a username and passcode.  I clicked "No Thanks" and the list of results brightened.  There were 27 records, most from New Jersey, and just a few with the first name "Ezra."




I clicked on the first record and was brought to the page below, requiring registration to view the record.  Again I clicked "No thanks," but was returned to the list of results and not the actual record.



With my paid account, I searched for "Ezra Dunn" born in New Jersey and returned over seven million records.  (Over 99% of those records are irrelevant, so more specific search parameters would be more helpful.)



If anyone tries out this free access, please let us know what record types from which countries result.  Someone told me that a credit card is required for Free Access, which people are understandably hesitant to provide for a free service.

If this is truly free access to all of Ancestry.com, then you have a great opportunity to explore the site to see if continued access via paid subscription could help your research.

1 comment:

  1. To answer one of my own questions, the search results will only be in the "13 Colonies Collections." Some of the databases in this collection do not cover the colonial period, such as Connecticut, Divorce Index, 1968-1997.

    http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/07/search-13-colonies-vital-records-on.html

    ReplyDelete