Thursday, February 3, 2011

Still searching for relatives at 23andme.com

Since last week, when my DNA results became available at 23andme.com, I have been connecting with distant (very distant?) relatives and trying to figure out the common ancestor.  I am up to 990 matches in the database.  So far, I have not figured out anyone's relation to me.  The website allows you to request contact of only five people per day.  I started with my closest relation- one third cousin- and am working my way outwards.  Only twelve people have responded to my inquiries.  A fourth cousin hails from Latvia- and I have no clue how this happened.

Apparently many people took advantage of the $99 sale in December, creating a lot more matches, as well as a lot of people who are clueless like me.  A group formed on facebook to share advice and opinions.

At this point in the DNA search, I think it is best to have my parents submit their specimens.  This will probably turn up a lot more matches, as each provided me with only half of their DNA.  When I have the matches of each parent, I will at least know which tree holds the common ancestor.


My closest matches at 23andme.com.
Only the circled icons represent people who have responded to my request for sharing information.


No comments:

Post a Comment